Tuesday, December 21, 2010

KA-BAR TDI


I picked up the KA-BAR TDI Small Straight edge blade about 2 weeks ago. It has been in my EDC since then. It is recommended to wear on your off hand if you are CCW. As I have not gotten my LTC I wear this on my strong side, seated on my belt above my rear pocket. It feels comfortable there and does not pinch while seated or driving. The knife does not print unless you wear tight clothing. Regular fit shirts and sweaters keep this well made knife concealed.

The knife came with a Kydex sheath and a belt clip, along with a Torx wrench to adjust the clip to the sheath. I ordered mine from tomarskabars.com

I do not use the knife for general purposes, i.e. - cutting open boxes, cutting string.
It stays on my belt, hidden by my untucked shirt. This knife was made to help in weapon retention and as an emergency tool for Law Enforcement, Military personnel and armed citizens. I will make note that the only knife that anyone sees me use is my Victorinox.  

Waving knifes around, even to show them off to coworkers or friends is strongly advised against. If they need something longer then the blade on my Victorinox Manager they can look elsewhere.

Back to the knife. It is most commonly carried on your weak side to retain your handgun. Holding the knife in a reverse grip from your weak side hand and sweeping it to your strong hand side you can see how natural the curve of the blade moves in an arc.I really love the coating that covers the blade. It is thick and looks like it will last a very long time. The knife feels good in the sheath and you can shake the knife sheath upside-down without it coming loose.

Thankfully the knife has not had to leave my side for it's made purpose. I did test the sharpness of the blade out of the box and it cut a piece of paper like it was hot butter. The knife comes in a serrated edge, and in a longer version. You can also pick up a ankle sheath if that is how you kick it.

TDI stands for Tactical Defense Institute. John Benner designed the knife and offers an array of classes you may be interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment